About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Courage Before a Holy God

1 Chronicles 16:37-18:17; Psalm 10:16-18; Proverbs 19:8-9

 

How dare we pray to God? How dare we pray to Jesus Christ? How dare we call on the Holy Spirit for guidance? Seriously! How dare we?

 

Don’t we realize that God the righteous Judge has seen our every sin? Don’t we know that He hears our most secret, wicked, shameful thoughts? Don’t we understand how disgusting our sins have made us, how much our lives stink to high heaven? How dare we pray to this holy, righteous, pure, awesome, just God?

 

David dared to pray to God because God spoke to him and promised to care for him. Listen in on David’s prayer:

 

You, my God, have revealed to your servant that you will build a house for him. So your servant has found courage to pray to you. – 1 Chronicles 17:25

 

God promised to care not only for David, but for his family, too. So David knew that, somehow, God’s favor was on him. David did not deserve God’s favor – and knew it. But God extended his favor toward David anyway. And because of God’s good promises, David could bravely speak up in God’s presence.

 

The very promises God gave to David are tied to our ability to pray, too:

 

I declare to you that the LORD will build a house for you: When your days are over and you go to be with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, one of your own sons, and I will establish his kingdom. He is the one who will build a house for me, and I will establish his throne forever. I will be his father, and he will be my son. I will never take my love away from him, as I took it away from your predecessor. I will set him over my house and my kingdom forever; his throne will be established forever. – 1 Chronicles 17:10-14

 

God’s promise to David was that David would have a descendant whose kingdom would be established forever. And part of the promise is that this descendant would “build a house” for God. Jesus Christ is that forever king, and He is building a house for God. That house is us, those who have put our faith in Jesus Christ, who have received His promises, confessed our sins, repented and trusted in Him. The same promises that gave David courage to pray to God give us boldness to pray.

 

God is no less holy than He has ever been or will ever be. He still hates sin and condemns sinners. But He also has made some promises that allow sinful people to have hope and to find safety. Because of God’s faithful promises, we can approach Him boldly.

 

Father, thank You for showing us through Your servant David the right way to approach You. May we never forget that You are a holy God, and that we have no right to approach You without fear. But may we always remember that You have demonstrated Your love. Whatever hope we have does not come from our own greatness in any form or fashion – it comes from You. You have been patient with us. Not only that, but You have given us promises that You will take care of us. Not only that, but You have told us how to live to please You. And not only that, but when we have failed at pleasing You, You have sent Your Son. You have fulfilled Your promises. If we had any doubt that You loved us, our doubts should be finished. Although You are holy, we may come to You. You are working things out for our good. Thank You that I can dare to pray to You!

 

No comments: