About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Friday, May 1, 2009

How to Stop an Attacker

Judges 7:1-8:17; Psalms 97 and 98; Proverbs 14:7-8

 

Fight or flight, right? Those are the only two alternatives when someone runs your way shouting, nostrils flaring, red-in-the-face. We prepare to rage or run.

 

But not Gideon. He had just finished a battle against Israel’s enemies. At the end, this is what he hears: Now the Ephraimites asked Gideon, "Why have you treated us like this? Why didn't you call us when you went to fight Midian?" And they criticized him sharply. – Judges 8:1

 

But believe it or not, there is an alternative way to stop an attacker, a way that demands neither fight nor flight. It requires courage and humility. And it requires a real concern for peace.

 

Gideon answered them: "What have I accomplished compared to you? Aren't the gleanings of Ephraim's grapes better than the full grape harvest of Abiezer? God gave Oreb and Zeeb, the Midianite leaders, into your hands. What was I able to do compared to you?" – Judges 8:2-3a

 

He honored them. He refused to defend himself, but he also refused to run away. No flight. No fight. But he stopped his attackers in their tracks: At this, their resentment against him subsided. – Judges 8:3b

 

Father, may I have the humility, love, and courage to absorb attacks and still respond with grace. May I care more about maintaining good relationships than about maintaining my own honor in the eyes of my family, friends, and community. Teach me how to stop an attacker the way Gideon did. 

 

No comments: