About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Get a Life! No, Not That Kind of Life!

When you hear the words, “Get a life,” what pops into your imagination? Do you imagine having nicer clothes, the latest gadgets and conveniences, a sporty car, an enormous house? Do you imagine fame, or power, or entertainment?

 

I do. At least, pretty often I do.

 

But Paul doesn’t. Listen to what he says to Timothy:

Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life. – 1 Timothy 6:17-19

 

Did you catch that? Paul just contrasted a life of riches and conveniences with a life that doesn’t depend on them at all, but rather depends on God and generously gives wealth away! In the end, a life of godly goodness is worth more than a life of wealth, conveniences, power and entertainment.

 

So which life is truly life? And when people say, “Get a life,” which life will you pursue?

 

No comments: