About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Words of Joseph, The Words of Christ-Genesis 50:1-Exodus 2:10; Psalm 21; Proverbs 5:1-6

But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children." And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them. – Genesis 50:19-21

 

Joseph’s brothers were afraid. Joseph had been kind to them. But now their father was dead. Perhaps Joseph had only been kind to them for the sake of their father. Perhaps he would torment them, enslave them, or kill them now. They were freaked out.

 

But Joseph’s kindness was genuine. He knew their sin. But he also knew God’s grace and goodness. He saw God’s hand in all that happened. He not only forgave his murderous brothers. He promised to provide for them. He chose to join God in His good intentions rather than to oppose God’s goodness for personal vengeance.

 

Jesus Christ has done this not just with ten brothers, but with billions of us. He became our brother as he joined the human race at his birth. He grew up among us, taught us, healed us, introduced us to God. But we grew jealous of Him, rejected Him, put Him on trial, beat Him, condemned Him and killed Him.

 

And then God raised Him from the dead – this Jesus whom we had killed! Jesus had and has every right to take vengeance on us all. We are rebels against our King and against His father. So like Joseph’s brothers, we should approach Jesus with fear and trembling, knowing that we deserve the worst treatment possible for the way we have rejected Him.

 

Unlike Joseph, Jesus is in the place of God. But like Joseph, Jesus says to us, his wicked brothers who seek forgiveness, “Don’t be afraid. You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children.” Rather than being vengeful, our God and King Jesus Christ reassures us and speaks kindly to us. He seeks God goodness for us, His wicked brothers.

 

Father, how can I not rejoice in Your Son’s kindness and mercy? Thank You that Your intentions for us, even though we do not deserve them, are life and health and provision and salvation. Thank You that Jesus is in complete agreement with You. No one is like You in returning good for evil. Thank You for taking the inertia of my rebellion and using it to throw me into Your grace and goodness.

 

2 comments:

MayLily said...

looks like you're reading what I am! i love reading the book through in a year. I'm loving exodus! ;)nice blog! I've always thought about doing something like this.

three-quarter tank said...

Yes, going back through the Scriptures is really encouraging. The blog's been really helpful for me, because it helps to make sure that I gain at least one beneficial thought from each reading. I'm glad it encouraged you. You should blog, too!