About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Life for Life: Genesis 44-45; Psalm 18:37-50; Proverbs 4:11-13

Judah: Now then, please let your servant remain here as my lord’s slave in place of the boy, and let the boy return with his brothers. How can I go back to my father if the boy is not with me? No! Do not let me see the misery that would come upon my father. – Genesis 44:33-34

 

Judah was, of course, the brother who convinced the others to sell Joseph as a slave. Much of what we’ve seen in his life is not to be held up as a model for all of us to follow.

 

But Judah had already seen the results of his sins. He had watched his father mourn Joseph’s alleged death for years! He had watched the Lord put two of his own children to death for their sinful ways. He had been forced to admit that his daughter-in-law, who prostituted herself to him so that she could bear his dead son a child and carry on the family name, was more righteous than he himself was!

 

Judah was a humbled man.

 

And Judah was determined not to let his choices bring pain to others any more.

 

Judah knew Benjamin was innocent. And he had made a promise to protect Benjamin, even if Benjamin hadn’t been innocent. So finally, here, Judah put his own life on the line for his half-brother. Judah thought more of his father’s pleasure than of his own, and he offered his life for his brother’s—a life, he thought, of slavery.

 

What a beautiful picture! What a wonderful pattern! No wonder Jesus came through the line of Judah! Jesus also thought more of His Father’s pleasure than of His own. Jesus also put his life on the line for his brothers’ lives.

 

Father, we need this kind of brother! Thank You for sending Jesus, who was innocent in ways that Judah could never dream of being innocent, to take the punishment of sinners like me (who deserve our punishments far more than Benjamin deserved his). Be pleased with Jesus, and through Him, be pleased with us! Enjoy us, your saved and redeemed children, and teach us to enjoy You! Teach us to celebrate this salvation! Make us constantly, gratefully, joyfully happy to have Jesus Christ as our brother!

 

No comments: