About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Friday, January 9, 2009

Two Years of Witness to Politicking Rulers - Acts 24:24-25:12

    But some days later, Felix arrived with Drusilla, his wife who was a Jewess, and sent for Paul, and heard him speak about faith in Christ Jesus. And as he was discussing righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come, Felix became frightened and said, "Go away for the present, and when I find time, I will summon you." At the same time too, he was hoping that money would be given him by Paul; therefore he also used to send for him quite often and converse with him. But after two years had passed, Felix was succeeded by Porcius Festus; and wishing to do the Jews a favor, Felix left Paul imprisoned.

 

    Festus therefore, having arrived in the province, three days later went up to Jerusalem from Caesarea. And the chief priests and the leading men of the Jews brought charges against Paul; and they were urging him, requesting a concession against Paul, that he might have him brought to Jerusalem (at the same time, setting an ambush to kill him on the way). Festus then answered that Paul was being kept in custody at Caesarea and that he himself was about to leave shortly. "Therefore," he said, "let the influential men among you go there with me, and if there is anything wrong about the man, let them prosecute him."

 

    And after he had spent not more than eight or ten days among them, he went down to Caesarea; and on the next day he took his seat on the tribunal and ordered Paul to be brought. And after he had arrived, the Jews who had come down from Jerusalem stood around him, bringing many and serious charges against him which they could not prove; while Paul said in his own defense, "I have committed no offense either against the Law of the Jews or against the temple or against Caesar." But Festus, wishing to do the Jews a favor, answered Paul and said, "Are you willing to go up to Jerusalem and stand trial before me on these charges?" But Paul said, "I am standing before Caesar's tribunal, where I ought to be tried. I have done no wrong to the Jews, as you also very well know. "If then I am a wrongdoer, and have committed anything worthy of death, I do not refuse to die; but if none of those things is true of which these men accuse me, no one can hand me over to them. I appeal to Caesar." Then when Festus had conferred with his council, he answered, "You have appealed to Caesar, to Caesar you shall go."

 

Felix heard Paul speak not only at his trial, but many times. They talked with each other, and Paul spoke with this governor faithfully about faith in Christ Jesus, King of the world. Paul talked about righteousness, self-control, and the judgment to come… and he talked so faithfully about them that it scared governor Felix. He understood what Paul was saying. For two years he kept Paul there, talking with him off and on. He kept Paul there hoping for personal gain and political good will from the Jews, and then passed him on to governor Festus.

 

Governor Festus was also swayed by politics. He almost got Paul killed. It does not seem that Paul knew about the ambush waiting for him, but he may well have been thinking of the last time the Jews asked that he be brought to Jerusalem. Rather than go to Jerusalem, Paul appealed to Caesar. And Festus granted Paul his appeal.

 

What is striking, though, is Paul’s faithfulness over the long haul. Though it takes only a couple of chapters to tell, Paul’s stay in Roman captivity had now lasted more than two years. He’d gone through several trials, but none with a decision. The governors knew Paul was innocent, but they were keeping Paul captive for political reasons. Still, Paul had cheerfully taken advantage of his opportunities to talk about Jesus Christ and faith in Him.

 

Father, why am I so weak and impatient? Why do I have so little endurance? Why am I so unfaithful? Don’t I have your Holy Spirit? Build the fruit of the Spirit into my life. I want to be calm, cheerful, content, patient, and always willing to talk with anyone about Jesus Christ. Thank You for the example of Paul. Thank You for his faith, and his faithfulness. Thank You for protecting him from plots against his life, and thank You for helping him constantly plot to give Your life to those who held him captive. Teach me to be so faithful, and to trust You so deeply.

 

No comments: