About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Friday, March 28, 2008

John 13:1-5

Notes:

    1. Before the Feast of the Passover

                                                              i.      Jesus knew that His time had come to leave the world and return to the Father

                                                            ii.      Jesus had loved His own who were in the world, His disciples

                                                          iii.      Jesus continued to express His love to the end; He expressed His love completely; there was no time His love was not expressed to His disciples.

    1. During the supper

                                                              i.      The devil had already put it into Judas Iscariot’s heart to betray Jesus

                                                            ii.      Jesus knew that the Father had given all things into His hands

                                                          iii.      Jesus knew that He had come from God

                                                          iv.      Jesus knew that He was returning to God

                                                            v.      Jesus got up from the supper, set His clothes aside, and wore a towel

                                                          vi.      He poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, wiping them with the towel He wore

 

John 13:1 could possibly refer forward to Jesus’ activity of washing His disciples’ feet. But John specifically says that Jesus’ love in verse 1 was before the Passover feast. Perhaps John is alluding to what Jesus had just been doing, urging people to trust His teachings because they came from the Father. Jesus wanted people to have eternal life, and it was totally loving of Him to teach them how to obtain a relationship with the Father all the way to the end of His earthly ministry. Either way, we clearly see Jesus’ love continuing to the end.

 

But in John 13:2, we see what happened during the supper. Jesus knew that the Father was glorifying Him and had given all things to Him. He knew that He had come from God and would soon return to the Father. But even knowing His own glory, Jesus chose to serve His disciples at that last supper. He wore only a towel, and He washed their feet.

 

Father, no one deserves honor and glory more than Jesus. I certainly don’t. But I often want others to serve me. I want my needs met, as though I am glorious and deserve such service. Forgive me for claiming such glory and honor. Help me to remember that I do not deserve such recognition. Help me to serve Jesus gladly, recognizing His glory. And help me to serve His people gladly, recognizing that in doing so I am serving the glorious body of Christ. And help me to serve unbelievers gladly when doing so glorifies Jesus and opposes Satan; help me to serve them by pointing them toward Jesus, who deserves all of our service.

 

Thank you for sending us such a humble Savior and Lord to remind us and convict us of our pride – to convict me of my pride. Teach me humility.

 

No comments: