About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Monday, March 3, 2008

Confession

I think my attitude about my devotions has gotten off-kilter. Not deliberately. But it has been stimulating for me to know that other people are benefiting from my time listening to God. It has encouraged me to keep spending time in His Word. Which is great. But I’ve been neglecting my prayer time. Why? I think that I’ve begun to feel responsible to those of you who read my thoughts, as though my thoughts about God’s Word are so valuable to you that I need to make sure you get them. I’m eager to encourage you, challenge you, and stimulate you to pursue God. And I believe these are good intentions, good desires.

 

But I am not the one who can sustain you spiritually. Only Christ is. And I need Him to sustain me, too. By not depending on Him in prayer, I’ve begun to act as though you need me rather than Christ, and as though I sustain myself, rather than demonstrating the truth that Christ sustains me. I will continue to post my devotional thoughts for your benefit; I hope it is a benefit, and we Christians ought to encourage one another. But as you read my thoughts, please remember to pray for me to depend on Christ. Pray that I will discipline myself not only to hear from Him, but also to fervently call on Him. I need Him so much, and my lack of prayer (which you could not have known about) has kept me from expressing my dependence on Him. He is my everything. Your everything. Let’s continue to grow in Him together, sharing in the process as He brings us to perfection one day.

No comments: