About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Monday, March 10, 2008

John 12:44-50

After we see how people responded to Jesus with unbelief and unfaithfulness, we hear again the challenging words of Jesus Himself.

 

“The one who believes in me does not believe in me, but in the one who sent me. And the one who sees me sees the one who sent me. I have come into the world as a light, so that everyone who believes in me will not remain in darkness.”

 

The thrust of these words is that believing in Jesus means discerning the hand of God in what Jesus says and does. The questions surrounding Jesus have constantly been about whether He is leading people toward God or away from God. Those who don’t believe in Jesus believe that Jesus is leading people away from God. Those who do believe in Jesus see God’s power and glory at work in Jesus’ ministry. So Jesus is right – the real question is whether a person believes in the One who sent Jesus. Those who reject Jesus’ sender will reject Jesus, too. And this question is an important one, because Jesus’ definitely has power and authority behind Him; either the power and authority come from the one true God or they come from God’s greatest opponent, Satan. If we reject Jesus and believe that He was sent from Satan… and if we’re wrong… imagine explaining to God one day, “It was just a mistake of judgment! I thought Your teachings and Your power were from Satan, but I really wanted to follow You.” Rejecting Jesus is rejecting God. Believing in Jesus is believing in God. At least, that is what He claims.

 

He continues: “And if anyone hears but does not keep my words, I do not judge him…” Really? Explain. “… for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.” Essentially, Jesus’ mission is a mission of salvation from God! It is good news for us all! So where does the bad news come from?

 

“The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has one who judges him; the word which I spoke – that shall judge him at the last day. For I did not speak of myself, but the Father who sent me – He gave me a commandment – what to say and what to speak. And I know that His commandment is eternal life! Therefore, what I say, just as the Father said to me, so also I speak.” At the last day when we are standing before God’s judgment seat, it will not primarily be Christ judging us. Yes, He will be judge, but our rejection of God’s Words will judge us. If we get before the judgment throne of God and are asked to explain why we deserve eternal life, we will have nothing to say. Imagine: “Yes, God, now that I’m here before Your throne I know that Jesus was actually giving us Your words. But You have to understand that back there on earth, I was confused. It wasn’t so clear. I thought Your words didn’t sound good enough. So I rejected them. I refused to accept them. I thought something was wrong with them.” After a testimony like that, it’s not so much a matter of Jesus judging us. It’s a matter of us judging ourselves by rejecting Jesus’ words – the words of God!

 

Jesus consistently claimed that God sent Him. Either you believe that God sent Him or you don’t. There’s no middle ground. “I’m not sure” is a statement that you don’t believe God sent Jesus. If you’re right, you’re fine. But if you don’t believe God sent Jesus, you’re not right. You’re wrong. And your disbelief will judge you in the end.

 

These are hard truths, hard words. But look, no one’s trying to condemn you to hell. Anyone who says this to you wants you to be perfectly clear about the stakes so that you will choose to believe in Jesus. To believe in God. To choose life! Why be stubborn and hold on to your reservations? Why choose your own judgment? Your own death? Why? For pride? Surely your life is worth more than your pride! Choose life! Choose Jesus! Choose God!          

 

For those of us who have believed, we are so fortunate to be included among those who have a right relationship with the Father through Jesus Christ!

No comments: