About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Rejecting God

Today's reading: 
  • Proverbs 19:3 -- A person's own folly leads to their ruin, yet their heart rages against the LORD.
Thoughts:
I remember a conversation I had with someone who had recently turned away from Jesus. He had been fairly close and we could talk honestly. We were talking about what kinds of choices he might end up making now that he wouldn't be submitting his life to God's authority and morals. I was trying to ask him what compass he would use to guide his choices about some of the more destructive things we can do to ourselves and others.

This man said, "I would never do those things. I know what's right and wrong without God, and I know what's good for me. The fact that I'm an atheist now doesn't mean I'm going to turn into a criminal."

And I agreed. His being an atheist and rejecting God didn't automatically mean he would make harmful choices. It merely made those choices more likely.

This man is still rejecting Jesus. Unfortunately, he is also harming others and himself at an alarming rate. Most of the harm he has created is legal, and a bit of it is illegal (so ironically, he is a small-time criminal even though he hasn't been caught so far). His life held a lot of promise. His life still holds promise, but he's making almost no use of himself so far. His life exemplifies this proverb, but in reverse order. He rejects Jesus, and now his folly is ruining him.

Friends, being a believer doesn't automatically mean that you make great choices, and rejecting faith in Jesus doesn't automatically mean that all your choices will be terrible. But either way, when your choices don't line up with God's recommendations and things fall apart, remember who made the choices that led to the pain.

And please consider going to Jesus and admitting your sin. Jesus forgives. His grace is amazing!

No comments: