About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

John 19:28-30

John 19:28-30

 

Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty." A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus' lips. When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

 

Have you ever wondered whether Jesus really chose His death? Have you ever wondered whether God really knows the future? Whether He really has a plan? Whether He really is in complete control?

 

Throughout the last three chapters and even before, we’ve seen repeated indications that Jesus knew exactly what He was doing. He knew His Father’s plan, and He meant to do His Father’s will. And now, Jesus knew that “all was now completed.”

 

But He had one more thing to do. He knew this because of the Scriptures. He knew that in the Psalms it says, “They put gall in my food and gave me vinegar for my thirst” (69:21). So Jesus said, “I am thirsty.” He said it so that the Scripture would be fulfilled. Everything Jesus did was fulfilling what the Father had promised beforehand. Deliberately. Jesus found His instructions in the Scriptures. And He followed them.

 

Because Jesus said that He was thirsty, they lifted a sponge soaked in wine vinegar to Jesus’ lips so that He received the drink foretold long before.

 

And then Jesus knew that everything was done. The plan was complete. There was only one thing left to do. So Jesus bowed His head. And Jesus gave up His spirit. He died. He chose to die. Because God knew and foretold the future. To follow God’s plan. Jesus died in complete control of His circumstances.

 

Father, thank You! Jesus, thank You! The more I hear from Your word, the more plain it is that You, King Jesus, really are God. I used to feel as though You were a victim. I used to feel as though You were, in a sense, my victim. I felt as though I had put You on the cross. And while You died for my sins and the sins of everyone else in the world, I now see that there is not a single person on this earth who could have forced You onto that cross – in fact, all of us combined could not put You to death! Yes, You died for our sins. But we could never put You on the cross. You chose to die because You and the Father loved us. You followed Your own plan, when You could have chosen to let us die in our sins. Thank You for the choice You made. Thank You for fulfilling Your plan. Thank You for Your love.

 

 

No comments: