About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

John 19:23-24

When the soldiers crucified Jesus, they took his clothes, dividing them into four shares, one for each of them, with the undergarment remaining. This garment was seamless, woven in one piece from top to bottom.

 

"Let's not tear it," they said to one another. "Let's decide by lot who will get it." This happened that the scripture might be fulfilled which said, "They divided my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing."

 

So this is what the soldiers did.

 

Again we are faced with the truth that Jesus knew exactly what would happen to Him as He endured the crucifixion. The Scriptures are the words of the Father and the words of Jesus – the words of God. And the Scriptures said, “They divided my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing.”

 

These words are found in Psalm 22, and we know that Jesus was thinking about this Psalm as He hung on the cross. Its opening words are the familiar words Jesus cried out as He died: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46). And the mockery it describes in verse 8 is precisely the mockery cast upon Jesus by the chief priests, teachers of the law, and elders who were there : “He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him” (see Matthew 27:39-44). This Psalm portrayed Jesus’ crucifixion, and He knew it.

 

Just another proof that our King knew all the details of His mission. Jesus was not surprised to be captured, beaten, judged, and put on a cross. He had even foretold long before that His clothes would be divided up and that men would cast lots for His clothing. This was all part of God’s detailed, foreknown plan.

 

Heavenly Father and Lord Jesus, I know I can trust You! You know all things, including all that is yet to come. Every detail of life is in Your hands. Even in planning our redemption by Jesus’ death, You were in complete control! Thank You for holding every detail in Your hands, for guiding our lives surely towards the good things You intend for us. Thank You that we can see how completely in control You are so that, even when we feel as if life is chaos and pain, we can look to You knowing that You will fulfill Your promises. You will not leave us forever in this painful world, but You will come again and restore all things! And You have left us Your Holy Spirit to comfort and guide us in the meantime. Thank You for demonstrating again how thoroughly trustworthy You are.

 

No comments: