About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

John 18:36-40

John 18:36-40

 

Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."

 

"You are a king, then!" said Pilate.

 

Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

 

"What is truth?" Pilate asked. With this he went out again to the Jews and said, "I find no basis for a charge against him. But it is your custom for me to release to you one prisoner at the time of the Passover. Do you want me to release `the king of the Jews'?"

 

They shouted back, "No, not him! Give us Barabbas!" Now Barabbas had taken part in a rebellion.

 

When Pilate asked Jesus what He had done to make the Jews so angry, Jesus just kept talking about His kingdom. And Pilate picked up on it. Jesus said that His kingdom was not of this world, or His servants would fight to keep Him from being handed over like this. And Pilate recognized that, even if Jesus was claiming an other-worldly kingdom, Jesus was not denying that He was a king. Jesus was certainly claiming to be king. So Pilate asked, “Are you not, therefore, a king?” According to your own testimony, Jesus, you must be a king!

 

Jesus affirms it. “You are saying that I am a king. This is why I was born, and this is why I came into the world, to testify to the truth.” At the beginning of the conversation, Jesus asked Pilate whether it was his own idea that Jesus was a king, or whether it had come from others. Pilate had merely heard from the Jews that Jesus claimed to be a king, but now Pilate is saying it himself: Jesus’ testimony is that Jesus is king. And Jesus says that this is the truth. This is what Jesus came to testify about. This is why He was born. Jesus is King! Jesus concludes by saying, “Everyone who is of the truth hears my voice.”

 

What does that mean? Does it mean that everyone who recognizes that Jesus claims to be king hears Jesus’ voice, and is therefore of the truth? Probably not. Pilate and the Jews both understand that Jesus claimed to be king. They heard the message. But watch their responses.

 

Pilate asks, “What is truth?” He distances himself from being among those who hear Jesus’ voice. And then he turns, heads outside to the Jews, and announces that he has found no guilt in Jesus. Pilate is not worried about Jesus’ claim to be king because Jesus Himself has testified that His kingdom is “not of this world” and that his servants are not fighting to protect Him as a result. There are no other major charges against Jesus, so Pilate finds no guilt in Him.

 

But rather than release Jesus, Pilate then says, “But…” That is, “I find no guilt in Him, but…” But what? But Pilate did not intend to release Him so easily. “But it is your custom for me to release to you one prisoner at the time of the Passover. Do you want me to release the ‘king of the Jews’?” What was Pilate thinking? He knew the Jews wanted Jesus dead! They had already said so (John 18:31). Why would you put an innocent man’s fate in the hands of a mob that wanted Him dead? Pilate had heard Jesus’ testimony, but Pilate didn’t care that Jesus was king. Pilate was not aligned with the truth.

 

Neither were the Jews. When given this option, the Jews rejected Jesus, their king. They chose instead to free Barabbas, a criminal.

 

Father, forgive men. Forgive me. It is so tempting to hear Jesus’ words – His testimony that He is king – and then to turn away. It is difficult to accept Jesus as king, because we humans want to rule ourselves. But those who are of the truth hear His words. Help me to live with the truth. To love the truth. To embrace Jesus as my king, kneel before Him, praise Him, obey Him, do His work and advance His kingdom, testifying to everyone that Jesus really is the king. May I not distance myself. May I not allow the rejection of others to go unchallenged. May my allegiance be clear. Thank You that Jesus made His claim so clear. May I listen.

 

No comments: