About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Take God Seriously Now, Because One Day We’ll All Take Him Seriously

Today’s Reading:
  • Psalms 42-46

Faith-Stretching Verse(s):
  • Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world. – Psalm 46:10, NLT

Thoughts:
People will not be able to rebel forever.

I may or may not have noticed before, but this verse that talks about being still and knowing that God is God is in a not-so-peaceful context. The verses right before it say, “Come, see the glorious works of the LORD: See how he brings destruction upon the world. He causes wars to end throughout the earth. He breaks the bow and snaps the spear; he burns the shields with fire.” – Psalm 46:8-9, NLT

In other words, God conquers. Those who rage against Him fall, and their weapons are completely overwhelmed by His power. And then God speaks this verse that we’re so familiar with: “Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world.”

This isn’t the gentle call of an imploring deity. This is the overwhelming command of a conquering ruler.

For those who are among the people God is protecting, this message is greatly comforting. We will ultimately be kept safe.

But for those who reject God, this verse is a challenge and an offense precisely because God is staking His claim to be the ultimate owner and ruler of everything—and the exclamation point on His claim is the threat of crushing and violent destruction.
Link
From the perspective of those who do not believe in our God, this verse is an example of why Christianity is an intolerant and exclusive religion that should not be tolerated. But from the perspective of those of us who do believe in Jesus, this verse is a call to sacrificially do everything we can possibly do to draw people into His kingdom before it is too late for them.

Jesus is God and King. All the world will one day know it. And His reign will have serious consequences: serious threats for His enemies and detractors, but serious freedom and life for those who walk with Him now.

For an overview of this year’s blog, please see http://threequartertank.blogspot.com/2011/01/why-do-believers-believe.html.

No comments: