About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Acts 17:32-34

    When they heard about the resurrection of the dead, some of them sneered, but others said, "We want to hear you again on this subject." At that, Paul left the Council. A few men became followers of Paul and believed. Among them was Dionysius, a member of the Areopagus, also a woman named Damaris, and a number of others.

 

We think it is so different in our day from Paul’s day. We think that science has turned men against believing in miracles, and that witnessing is more difficult because of it. But Paul faced the same responses we face. Sneers.

It is not a new thing for people to sneer at the idea that Jesus or anyone else has been raised from the dead. Resurrection, so far, is not common. In Paul’s day, like now, people didn’t blindly believe anything they were told. They believed things that fit their view of the world – and their view of the world did not include resurrections!

Sharing the gospel with people, we should expect sneers. But sneers should not keep us from telling people the truth, even if it sounds silly in a scientific age. The truth about Jesus has always sounded strange.

We share the truth that the God who created the world is calling all men to repent of their ignorance and know Him, and that He has proved this by raising Jesus Christ from the dead. We share this truth in spite of sneers because there will be some who say, “We want to hear more.” We share this truth because we want modern Dionysiuses and Damarises to follow our lead and believe in Jesus Christ. We share this truth because if we share, no matter how many sneers we face, we will see some people join us as brothers and sisters in the family of God.

Father, change our hearts. I repent of my fear, my lack of boldness, my unfaithfulness. Too often I do not tell people about my relationship with You at all. Too often, when I muster the courage to speak, I do not speak clearly. May I be faithful to You. May I speak the truth boldly and clearly, as I should. May I shrug off people’s sneers, excited to know that there will be at least some who believe. Build Your kingdom in me and through me.

 

No comments: