About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Saturday, May 31, 2008

John 18:15-18

Two disciples followed Jesus to the house of the high priest. Peter went there, of course, but there was another disciple, too, who was known to the high priest and was able to get into the high priest’s court. Peter was stuck outside. It was the other disciple who was able to get Peter in. So Peter was not the only witness to the events that took place that night. The other disciple saw everything, too.

 

Even as the other disciple was bringing Peter in, the doorkeeper maidservant thought she recognized Peter as one of Jesus’ disciples. But when she asked Peter about this, he denied it – even though another of Jesus’ disciples was there with him and heard him. Since the other disciple was known to the high priest, it may well be that the high priest and the doorkeeper knew this other disciple was, in fact, Jesus’ disciple. Which would be why they didn’t ask him. But when they asked Peter whether he was also a disciple of Jesus, he said no.

 

But now Peter was inside. He was able to watch what was going on, and he stood near the fire with the others who were there.

 

Father, I have often thought of Peter as being there alone, as though his denials were just between him and Jesus. But Peter was with another disciple who was probably known as Jesus’ disciple. Even with his companion disciple standing there with him, Peter denied being Jesus’ disciple. This reminds me of my own weaknesses. It is so painful to be in a situation where I could live boldly for Jesus and encourage a believing brother or sister to stand firm in faith, but to fail. Father, teach me and all your children to be faithful to Jesus. Teach us at least to say yes when people ask us whether we follow Jesus, even in the most stressful, fearful times. And may we encourage each other in faith as we identify ourselves with Your Son Jesus Christ.

 

No comments: