About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Friday, July 22, 2016

Enough, and Just Enough

Today's reading: 

  • Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God. -- Proverbs 30:8b-9
Thoughts: 
We've prayed it often enough: "Give us this day our daily bread." It's part of the Lord's Prayer, after all. But what's behind the request for daily bread? Why not ask for a daily smorgasbord?

I love how Jesus included this proverb in the prayer He taught His disciples, affirming that this wisdom is, indeed, wise. 

What this request teaches us is the concept of Enough.

Only a little later in the same chapter (verses 15-16), the writer describes "three things that are never satisfied, four that never say, 'Enough!'" The examples he presents are miserable. The grave. A barren womb. Land that gets parched all too quickly. Fire. 

There's a beauty in the concept of Enough. 

And with regards to our daily bread, Enough is the amount that keeps us dependent on Jesus while not tempting us to steal. 

Are you being tempted to steal? Ask Jesus to give you Enough. Is your heart turning away from your Savior and Lord? Ask Jesus to give you Enough. Just Enough. Because no matter how much you have and how easily you can fool yourself into thinking you don't need Jesus, without Him you don't have the true measure of Enough in your life. 






No comments: