About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Heading to Brazil!

Good evening, everyone,

A little over six months ago I sent out a letter announcing that I would be going to Brazil on a missions trip, God willing. It appears that God was willing. Thanks to Him and your generous support and prayers, our 9-person team leaves for Detroit tomorrow morning at 10 a.m., beginning our voyage to Brazil.

I would appreciate your continued prayers. The team (5 men, 2 women, 2 teenage girls) will be gone for two weeks. It should be quite an experience. Here’s a bit of the overall view of what we’ll be up to:

  • Wed, July 14th – Depart for Brazil
  • Thursday, July 15th – Arrive, finalize preparations for English Camp.
  • Friday, July 16th – Head to Aba Camp, get set up.
  • Saturday, July 17th – English Camp.
  • Sunday, July 18th – English Camp (including a mini-service, I believe)
  • Monday, July 19th – Stay at Aba Camp, install 600+ feet of water lines
  • Tuesday, July 20th – Water lines, cont’d.
  • Wednesday, July 21st – Halfway done. Head to Estrutural (a poor community) and set up outreach.
  • Thursday, July 22nd – Estrutural outreach, cont’d.
  • Friday, July 23rd – Sightseeing / Reunion service
  • Saturday, July 24th – Nucleo Banderantie Church – 50th Anniversary celebration!
  • Sunday, July 25th – Morning services at Nucleo Banderantie Church; Afternoon services at Estrutural Church; Evening services at Riacho Fundo Church
  • Monday, July 26th – Meeting to establish future partnership plans
  • Tuesday, July 27th – Leave Brazil
  • Wednesday, July 28th – Arrive home

And now for some final mixed notes: My understanding is that I’ll be preaching three times during these weeks…but that I should be prepared to preach more, just in case. Pray for my preparation. Also, I’d like to let everyone know that my sister-in-law Katie did our team a great service by preparing all of our English Camp materials. Several members of the Brazilian churches will be hosting us in their homes while we’re not at the Aba Camp, so that has made the total trip cost drop a bit (praise God!). Finally, we’re taking 9 suitcases of ministry materials, gifts for the poor, and other items that we have been asked to bring to Brazil. Please pray that all of our luggage arrives on time and in good shape.

Again, thanks so much for your gifts, your support, and your prayers on my behalf and on behalf of Christ’s work in Brazil. Please keep up the prayers!

Grace and peace –

Matt


No comments: