About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Acts 17:10-12

Acts 17:10-12

 

As soon as it was night, the brothers sent Paul and Silas away to Berea. On arriving there, they went to the Jewish synagogue. Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. Many of the Jews believed, as did also a number of prominent Greek women and many Greek men.

 

So Paul and Silas had fled from Thessalonica ahead of a mob. But they weren’t staying hidden. When they arrived in Berea, they were back in the synagogue dealing with Jews again.

 

These Jews were different from the one in Thessalonica. They were more noble minded. When Paul spoke the message of Jesus Christ, they received what he said. They wanted to hear. And then, because they had understood what Paul said, they want back to their Scriptures to be sure he agreed with God.

 

Many of these Jews concluded that Paul was telling them the truth, and they put their faith in Jesus Christ because they believed that the Scriptures did proclaim Paul’s message. Not only did many Jews believe, but many non-Jews also believed.

 

They believed what? The Scriptures. The message of Paul, the word of our Lord. But even before the believed, they received the word eagerly, and they examined the Scriptures to verify that what Paul said was true. These people were eager to hear from God, and they knew His voice. They were not afraid to grapple with new-sounding ideas so long as they could bring those ideas back to the old familiar voice for guidance. God’s voice hadn’t changed. So they believed in Jesus.

 

Father, help me not to fear unfamiliar ideas. I have Your words for guidance, and I have Your Spirit to teach me as I read and listen to Your words. Remind me always to consult with You. Remind me never to pretend I’m capable of charting a safe course on my own. And pull me back, over and over, to Your voice. You are faithful and true.

 

No comments: