About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Acts 1:12-14

Then they returned to Jerusalem from the hill called the Mount of Olives, a Sabbath day's walk from the city. When they arrived, they went upstairs to the room where they were staying. Those present were Peter, John, James and Andrew; Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew; James son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James. They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

 

After the angels told them, essentially, that they needed to stop focusing on heaven and start obeying Jesus on earth, the disciples did as Jesus had said and went back to Jerusalem to wait for the Holy Spirit. Every disciple was there except for Judas Iscariot (obviously, since he had killed himself).

 

How did they wait for the Holy Spirit? They spent their time praying. The women, Mary the mother of Jesus, and Jesus’ brothers were praying with them. I know. It sounds so simple. But I’m sure they had a lot to pray about. They had spent three years with Jesus, then watched as He was killed before their eyes. And then He had risen from the dead, taught them some more, and ascended into heaven leaving them with a promise that He would send the Holy Spirit and a command to be His witnesses. I’m sure there were prayers of thanks and praise for His goodness. But there were probably also prayers for their ongoing provision, for wisdom to know what to do, for protection (because there may well have still been some fear among them), and for the Holy Spirit to be given sooner rather than later.

 

We don’t know what they prayed, really, but the point is that they prayed. They depended on Jesus, even after He had ascended into heaven. They put their trust in Him.

 

Father, help me to bring everything to You. Yes, there may be things You have me do, but I need to find Your will and seek Your help. I need to depend on You, Your wisdom, Your power – rather than my own. Forgive me for my lack of prayer sometimes. Forgive me for too often making prayer a secondary matter. May I not only listen to You, but may I ask You for answers whenever I have a question and tell You my needs whenever I see them. May I lead my family in coming to You with thanks, questions, or requests day by day – prioritizing You in every decision we make and every need we have.

 

No comments: